Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Natural born hustler

D St. Festivals, bang bang gang, and hurt'em bad. West side had some great moments; Jackson Street was live and vibrant! Blacked own businesses, it was less headaches back then it was happy times for me. I can remember going up to The Cove roof, and watching the festival from there. My comrades and I; would kick back and seeing everything unfold.  There's nothing like a live band playing music; you can feel every note, and every beat from the percussions. Then you had D.C Rider doing his thang. 88.1 Kcep was our station! My favorite DJ was lady essence.... That sultry voice made my day. We had Moms Kitchen; throwing down with those collier greens! Up the street was Hamburger Heaven, my thing there; was taco burgers. I lived those! Man I tell you the West was the business; all the black celebrities came to the West because of the clubs and lounges. Moulin Rouge historic.... Town Tavern, we're talking about Bobby Blue Bland, Jhonny Taylor, B.B King, and many other blues singer performed there. The Brown Derby, community store owned by Miss Sweet; she was one the most nicest women I ever met. There was always something to do; whether it be going to the City pool, or up & down, that's where we went to ride our bikes. There was always something to do.... Hanging out at Butler sisters house or the Richard sisters house we found something to do

1 comment: